Tuesday, June 22, 2010

You've Got Some Guanxi On Your Face...
















Yes, I am making fun of Asians and their propensity to make peace signs, and yes, they still make them over here too.

This may be a brief one, but upon the pestering of many a reader (see: Mallory Totzke) I now know that I need to update more often.

I have been tremendously busy and, I'm assuming since you're reading this blog, that you'd like to know what is keeping me so busy. This past week has been a workaholic hell of a week as the boogie monster known as college sneaked (snuck?) up on me and reminded me that I needed to finish my 25 page research paper pertaining to LAST summer's internship by the 25th. I just squeaked it out, finishing it yesterday, but the teacher that is "reading" (grading) the paper is traveling and hasn't had a chance to even look at my draft, and since my grade didn't get into the registrar in time, I failed....That is, if the professor in charge of our field experience, these papers, and subsequently this trip, didn't happen to be in Beijing visiting us right now! I used my magical powers of persuasion to get yet another extension on the paper until the end of the summer and my addiction to procrastination can persist. It's on greenhouse gas reduction public policy and if any of you would like to read it, well then you must be batshit crazy because no human actually wants to read something like that.

Aside from scholarly BS, my regular busyness stems from a variety of sources. My internship is from 9:30-5:30 Monday through Thursday, I work on top of a three-story mall (girls, go to http://www.orientalplaza.com/eng/shopping/mall.htm and drool) in one of six giant office towers. Think about what you imagine China as, now imagine the exact opposite and that is where I work; there are pictures of models and athletes all over the walls and I just discovered how to work the espresso machine, so I'm just as spoiled here as always.

While all of you so-called adults out there will think that this schedule and setup is utterly ridiculous, listen to how I spend my Fridays: Chinese class starts at 9:30 and lasts for two hours; the teacher will not speak English and we will have one test over the entire summer's worth of classes to determine our grade. After class, I have time to grab lunch and jump right on the subway to travel an hour and a half to the farthest west stop of the entire subway system, aka the exact opposite side of the city, aka I want to break something because I've just spent over an hour riding the most crowded line in the system and being sandwiched between old Chinese migrant workers. Did I mention deodorant is not currently in use in this country? You might ask "what is so great that you'd be willing to do that every Friday rather than nap and be a lazy college student like usual?" Well, I have the distinct pleasure of teaching 30 Chinese college students who are going to school for animation the language of the crown. These students' levels of English fluency is equal to the average American first grader's fluency...in Spanish; and I don't mean a Texan or Arizonian first-grader. Having no experience teaching and working with a group of students with the maturity level of a 14 year-old has turned out to be...an absolute blast. The students watch movies (Kung Fu Panda, Finding Nemo and other fine Dreamworks productions) and then I come in and try to explain to them how to talk about animation, 3D imagery and why animated movies keep grossing billions of dollars in the U.S. I still haven't figured out the last one, but I have a lot of fun making up worksheets and games for them and seeing how excited they get when I throw candy around for their successes. Aside from the obvious joy that enlightening minds brings to my heart, they pay me about $25/hour for my two hours of work per week, and putting 300 kuai in your pocket right before the weekend is not the worst thing in the world...

Which brings me to my next item: What does an American 20-something do with his weekend evenings in Beijing? When is comes to going out, there are some great places to go, depending upon kind of trouble you want to get into, buuuuut you will have to wait, I promise to get into the details of these (with pictures, you demanding bastards) in my next post. However, those other five days of the week known as weekdays are still full of fun. Most nights I head straight from work to the gym. I'm really enjoying getting back into working out while in China, because even though I haven't done a bench press in well over a year, I'm still lifting about 10 times the weight of every Chinese guy around me (to be fair, I've got at least 50 pounds on most of them). However, every Tuesday most of us attend what's called "Fortune Club Beijing" meetings. It's basically a bunch of expats and Chinese young urban professionals (we'll call them Chuppies) meeting in a bar or restaurant, having drinks and hors d'oeuvres and engaging in guanxi.

What is guanxi?

Guanxi (关系)literally means "relations". One of my majors is International Relations, so I am studying guoji guanxi (国际关系). However, aside from it's literal meaning, guanxi is also the basis for all business relationships and networks in the country. "A friend of a friend is a friend" is what guanxi says. So if Dad Lavalli's college friend knows a random guy who sells real cubans, rather than buy them and give them to Dad, he just puts the two in contact and they are now friends. That may not sound too odd, but say cuban-seller knows a guy who owns a construction company. Even though he and Dad have met only once, Dad is immediately introduced and so on and so forth. Thus, guanxi also refers to the infinite network of social and business interactions and the notion that "we are all one". If I can help you out now, maybe you can help me out later, and if you can't maybe you know someone who can. Let's face it, people in the U.S. are not that open with their contacts. I was just referred by someone who works for our study abroad company (abroadchina.net) to a friend of hers, who happened to know a student at the school that was looking for an English teacher who then introduced me to the school's president, and three days later I'm teaching a bunch of little runts English. My boss describes is at nepotism at its finest, and I'm okay with that. Imagine if you were basically required to vouch for your relatives, siblings and friends no matter personal merit? Yikes. But such is the way of the guanxi, there is strong guanxi and weak guanxi and not following up on your guanxi, but there is no such thing as too much guanxi. So we go to these meetings, hand out over 30 business cards, get 20 e-mails within the next week just saying it was nice to meet you, you respond and you forever have countless connections to whatever business you could want. And if it doesn't come to that, we at least meet some expats to go party with! I will leave you with that, I am alive and well. E-mail and comment at your leisure, our guanxi depends on it.

P.S. For those of you that know it, I started a perpetual round of the " 'MERICA, FUCK YEAH" song from Team America (for those that don't, please YouTube it) at the pub during the latest world cup game. Being a typical "ugly" American needs to happen every once in a while, for those of you that don't agree, France is in need of some new soccer players and I suggest you go apply.

1 comment:

  1. My nagging paid off!!! I'm so very proud of you...though, nagging again (of course), I feel the need to add that you have not put MY camera cord to very good use! I'll allow it, because your entry was very witty and I laughed a lot. And of course you got an extension on your paper...I'm not at all surprised. Can't wait til your next entry, which, based on your timeline, should be right before you come home! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete